International Social Media Use

image via GIPHY

This week's discussion on international social media use got me thinking about my own personal network and how global my interactions really are. On Facebook, I interact entirely with people I know, and 99% of them live in the United States. Even the Facebook groups I have joined are mostly made up of people from the United States. When I think about Instagram, I follow a wider variety of people, including some who I don't know personally. While some of them live in different countries, the majority of the people I interact with are still based in the United States.

Interestingly, I interact with people from different countries the most on TikTok. Since the For You page is designed to show a wide variety of content, I regularly consume videos from people all over the world. When I read through comments, I often see people sharing where they are from. I also enjoy seeing people share aspects of their cultures, especially through content related to food and traditions. While TikTok provides a unique opportunity to experience different cultures and perspectives, I am still very much out of the loop. 

What does your network look like?


Comments

Popular Posts