Reflecting on EME 6414
As the semester is coming to an end, I have found myself feeling both relieved and a little bittersweet about wrapping up my master’s degree. I am thankful that I only had to take one actual course this semester because it allowed me to truly invest my time and energy into the experience. Between balancing my internship, coursework, a new job, being newlyweds, and adjusting to life in a new state, this semester has been quite a journey.
However, I have found this course to be one of my favorite courses I have taken throughout my program. Initially, I was a bit uneasy about having to blog each week. But, as one of my classmates discussed, this experience truly allowed for a more authentic and learner-centered experience. I have had to blog for a class before, but it was a vastly different experience. In that setting, I had to take on the role of a teacher communicating with my students and families. While it was a valuable experience, it did not allow me to authentically share my own thoughts and perspectives because I was writing from a specific role.
When I use Feedly each week to check in on my peers’ blog posts, I see such a wide variety of perspectives and topics. Each person brings their own interests, experiences, and ideas to their writing. There is so much creative freedom in what we choose to discuss and how we communicate our thoughts.
Most online courses are grounded in discussion posts, and while we have those opportunities in this course, the fact that they are optional is significant. We have been given a unique opportunity to take ownership of our learning and exploration. Naturally, this has made the course more engaging for me. Each week, I get to research topics that genuinely interest me, decide how I want to participate, and engage with the content in a way that feels meaningful.
Thank you Professor Dennen!
Hi! I think that you nailed it when you mentioned that we were given the opportunity to take ownership of our learning. I found this feature so appealing that I took care to give my students choices every lesson. They enjoyed it, too!
ReplyDelete