Using Social Media as an Assessment Tool? What Could Go Wrong?

In my last post, I discussed the growing trend of using social media as an assessment tool. As I spent this week learning more about the topic, I also began thinking about some of the implications of using social media as a method of assessment. 

The first thing that came to mind was, How could this work across different educational settings? Since social media is becoming more common in primary, secondary, and higher education, I thought about its use in K-12 classrooms. Is this even allowed?

I've worked in schools where teachers had to have permission prior to showing YouTube videos in class. So, how does it work when students are expected to participate on social media for assessment purposes? A quick Google search revealed that most social media platforms require users to be at least 13 years old to create an account (Better Internet for Kids, 2022). That immediately raises concerns for primary schools. Even in secondary education, would schools need written parental consent before asking students to use social media. If so, what would that process look like?

Another concern is appropriate use. Once students create social media accounts like Instagram, they are exposed to algorithms and content that teachers cannot monitor or control. Would parents be expected to supervise their child's social media activity outside of school? That seems like a big responsibility. 

Additionally, if students are expected to comment on each other's work, how can teachers ensure that peer feedback remains respectful and appropriate (Alonzo et al., 2022)? Monitoring those interactions could become time-consuming for educators who already have a busy workload (Alonzo et al., 2022).

I also wonder what happens when students don't use social media. What if a parent doesn't want their child to have a social media account? Would teachers need to then create alternative assignments and assessments? Likewise, there are adult students who choose not to use social media for personal, professional, and privacy reasons. 

Privacy is another issue that I consider. Would students be expected to use their personal social media accounts or would they need to create a separate account specifically for the course? Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable having classmates or students on my personal accounts. 

Lastly, I wonder what level of informality teachers would permit in their student's social media interactions. Social media often uses slang, emojis, and informal language (Alonzo et al., 2022). How can teachers ensure students are using academic vocabulary and communicating professionally?

As you can see, I have far more questions than answers when it comes to using social media as an assessment tool. I can imagine a lot of educators may be feeling the same way. What do you think?

Sources:

Alonzo, D., Oo, C. Z., Wijarwadi, W., & Hannigan, C. (2022). Using social media for assessment purposes: Practices and future directions. Front Psychol, 13, 1075818. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2022. 1075818 

Better Internet for Kids. (2022). Minimum age requirements on social media. European Union. https://better-internet-for-kids.europa.eu/en/news/minimum-age-requirements-social-media  

Comments

Popular Posts